The Benefits of Having a Geriatrician on Your Senior Care Team
The experts in home health care in Hollywood, FL , outline the benefits of having a geriatrician on your senior care team.
March 30th is National Doctors’ Day, and it’s the perfect time to express appreciation for the medical professionals in your life. It’s also an opportune time to evaluate your health care team to determine if you need to add a new team member to the roster. If you or someone you love is over the age of 65, it is wise to consider seeing a geriatrician, a physician who is specially trained to meet the health care needs of older adults. Geriatricians specialize in treating chronic illnesses and medical conditions, and can help older adults with complex health needs. Below are some tips for determining if you or an older loved one could benefit from having a geriatrician on your senior medical team.
- You or your older loved one is taking multiple medications. Many older adults are managing multiple medications that have been prescribed for a variety of different health conditions. More medications can mean a higher likelihood of side effects or even dangerous complications. Because of this, it’s essential to have a professional on a senior’s health care team who understands side effects and drug interactions, especially as these relate to the older adult body. Geriatricians can help you manage both over-the-counter and prescription medications correctly and determine proper dosage.
- You or the older adult you love is experiencing mobility issues. It’s not uncommon for older adults to experience decreased mobility during the aging process. Geriatricians can effectively assess a senior’s fall risk, paying special attention to balance and gait, and recommend strength and balance exercises or therapies to increase safety and maintain independence.
- You or your older adult loved one is showing signs of cognitive decline. A few lapses in memory here and there among older adults are usually nothing to be worried about, but other symptoms can be a sign of Alzheimer’s or another type of dementia. Geriatricians can carefully screen for mild cognitive impairment, dementia, depression, and other conditions.
- You or the older adult you love has recently been hospitalized. If an older adult has recently been hospitalized, a geriatrician can provide guidance to aid in the recovery process. Following surgery or an unplanned hospitalization, older adults are at a higher risk for complications, and getting settled back into home life after a hospitalization can be tricky. Geriatricians, along with the home care experts at Jewish Family Home Care, can assist to provide for a smooth transition from the hospital back to the home, as well as with post-hospitalization recovery care.
There are multiple benefits to having a geriatrician on your senior care team. Geriatricians work cooperatively with other physicians, pharmacists, dietitians, social workers, and physical and occupational therapists to ensure that older adults receive the best care possible. If there isn’t a geriatrician nearby, or if you’re minimizing your trips out of the house to stay safe during COVID-19, there are many geriatric centers that offer telemedicine appointments. In addition, an in-home caregiver from Jewish Family Home Care can help you or an older adult you love follow the recommendations of a geriatrician, by assisting with a variety of home care needs such as:
- Shopping for nutritious foods and meal preparation with adherence to dietary restrictions
- Accompaniment and encouragement for a physician-approved exercise plan
- Assistance with mobility and fall prevention
- Transportation to and from doctors’ appointments
- Assistance with personal care needs, including bathing and dressing
- Help with household tasks such as laundry and linen changes
- Companionship and conversation around life enrichment activities such as cards, puzzles, board games or the hobbies that you or your loved one enjoy
- Specialized care for seniors diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia
- And much more
If you’re interested in learning more about the benefits a professional caregiver can provide for a senior you love, Jewish Family Home Care, the premier provider of home care assistance in Pembroke Pines and the surrounding areas, is here to help. Contact us online or reach out any time at 954-908-5677 to learn how we help seniors stay healthy and comfortable at home.