Appreciating Caregivers in November: 5 Ways Home Care Makes Family Caregiving Easier
November celebrates both home care aides and family caregivers!
Appreciating caregivers in November is important as we celebrate two sets of heroes who work tirelessly to help make the lives of older adults as fulfilling and enriching as possible: family caregivers and home care aides. These two groups help countless older adults live independently and safely at home throughout the aging process, and when they work together in partnership to care for a person at home, the benefits can be even greater for everyone involved.
When someone takes on the role of family caregiver for a loved one, it can be rewarding, but also stressful, as well as both physically and emotionally demanding. When families employ the help of a home care agency, like Jewish Family Home Care, they receive professional assistance that makes the job of family caregiver a bit more manageable. Our professionally-trained home care aides provide families with:
- Expertise – When employing a home care agency, you can be confident that caregivers have been professionally trained to care for a senior loved one, providing knowledge and expertise on a variety of topics including dementia and chronic health conditions. Caregivers can provide companionship, meal preparation, and transportation to doctors’ appointments, as well as a variety of other services that help improve overall health and wellbeing.
- Respite relief – In most families, the primary family caregiver has additional responsibilities that makes it difficult to care full time for a senior loved one. Home care aides provide family caregivers with much needed respite allowing them to manage additional family or career responsibilities, take breaks to see friends, maintain regular healthcare appointments, and more.
- Personal care – For many families caring for a loved one at home, assisting with personal care needs such as bathing, dressing, and using the bathroom can be difficult for both the older adult and/or the caregiver. Having a professional caregiver available to assist with these intimate tasks can often feel more comfortable. Home care aides can also help with transferring and walking, ensuring the safety of older adults and helping to prevent injuries to family caregivers.
- Reassurance – When a family caregiver can’t be with a loved one, whether it be just for a few hours or for a longer period, it is comforting to know that a trained professional is there, who has a relationship with your family member. Through a thorough matching process that considers the personality traits, likes and dislikes of each older adult in our care, our friendly home care aides bond quickly with our clients, often becoming a trusted friend to the senior, as well as to other family members.
- Scalable services – Often, as time goes by, seniors may need additional care, or a greater level of care than previously needed. Working with a home care agency can give families the flexibility to extend care based on current needs. Jewish Family Home Care can offer overnight care or even live-in support, as needs arise, and specialized care for chronic health conditions.
If you are a family caregiver doing the important work of caring for a loved one and would like to learn how Jewish Family Home Care’s expertly trained home care aides can partner with you to provide care, contact us online, or call us at 954-908-5677. As a top provider of home care in Davie, FL and nearby areas, we’d be honored to learn more about your unique situation and schedule a free, no-obligation in-home consultation.