Learn about the many benefits of home care and how they can help seniors continue living in the homes they love as they age.
Contrary to popular belief, aging doesn’t mean that everything in a person’s life has to change. Many people wrongfully assume that life in a nursing home is inevitable as we grow older. However, there is an alternative that is a cost-effective, viable alternative to facility care and provides a wealth of benefits — home care.
What Are the Benefits of Home Care?
It’s no secret that most older adults would prefer to age in place in the comfort of home. Home is where we feel most comfortable, after all. One of the biggest benefits of home care is that it allows seniors to avoid moving into a care facility, even when they have a condition or illness that makes living safely on their own more challenging. And there are a number of other benefits of in-home care too, including:
- Preserving independence. Moving into a care facility means giving up a significant amount of freedom and independence. Most have to downsize, giving up treasured personal belongings that may not fit in a new space. Additionally, they may have little say over mealtimes, when a caregiver comes in to provide care, or other schedules. Being able to stay at home allows older loved ones to continue to live life on their terms while receiving the help needed to maintain their health and safety.
- Maintain health. For older adults who have one or more chronic illnesses, maintaining optimal health is critical. An in-home caregiver can provide a wide range of services including:
- Assistance with physician approved exercise
- Medication reminders
- Prescription pickups
- Help with personal care, bathing, and hygiene
- Monitoring for changes in condition
- Planning and preparing nutritious meals in line with any dietary needs
- And more
- Enhancing social wellness. Many older adults face feelings of isolation and depression as spouses and friends pass away. Often, they live at a distance from relatives as well, making daily social interactions more challenging. Having a caregiver in the home provides seniors with friendly companionship, giving them a chance to have conversations, play games, and interact with someone on a regular basis.
- Reducing stress for both the senior and their family. The stress of caring for an older loved one on top of working full-time and raising a family can feel quite overwhelming for family caregivers. That stress can transfer to the senior as well if caregiver burnout sets in. In-home care services can ease the challenges of daily caregiving for family caregivers by offering respite whenever they need time away. Jewish Family Home Care’s professional respite care services empower busy family caregivers to take the time they need for self-care so they can return to their loved ones refreshed and less stressed. On the other side of the coin, home care services provide seniors with a new friendly face and stimulating conversation and companionship that can help them feel more energized as well.
The benefits of home care are many and varied, and they can help ensure that senior loved ones are able to stay in the homes they love instead of moving into a care facility. If you would like to find out more about Jewish Family Home Care’s exceptionally trained, RN-led care staff and why we’ve been voted an HCP Provider of Choice for five years running, give us a call today at 954-908-5677 or reach out to us online. We proudly offer in-home care services in Hollywood, Sunrise, Pembroke Pines, and throughout Broward County.