Learn how to make the home more comfortable for a loved one who wishes to age in place.
Home is where the heart is. It may be cliché, but that’s only because it’s true. In fact, remaining in the familiarity of home throughout aging is the top choice for most older adults. That’s why making aging in place possible is so important. Aging brings about a variety of unique challenges such as mobility issues, diminished vision, and chronic illness, which can make living at home safely more challenging. Because of these age-related changes, it’s important to ensure home is as comfortable and safe as possible for older loved ones.
The caregiving team at Jewish Family Home Care offer the following tips to help loved ones age in place in the comfort and familiarity of home.
- Clear a path. Shoes, electrical cords, and other general clutter in hallways and walkways can lead to tripping and dangerous falls for older adults. Ensure that any items that may be tripping hazards are removed from walkways both inside and outside the home.
- Make sure the home is well lit. Low vision is common with age, and this can make getting around in the home more of a challenge. Update low watt light bulbs or add extra lighting to darker areas of the home. Ensure that hallways and stairs are well lit. Don’t forget to add lights along paths, driveways, and entryways on the outside of the home as well.
- Widen doorways. Most homes aren’t designed for the use of walkers or wheelchairs, and narrow doorways can make navigating the home difficult. Consult with an expert to widen doors throughout the home to help loved ones move around more freely and easily.
- Make the bathroom safer and more accessible. The bathroom can be one of the most dangerous rooms of the home, yet it’s a room that everyone has to access multiple times a day. Install grab bars next to the toilet to help older adults get up more easily. Grab bars should also be installed in the shower so that older adults feel stable while bathing. Additionally, remove any bath mats or throw rugs that may cause the person to slip.
- Install in-home care technology. Jewish Family Home Care offers the Guardian Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) that can help older adults remain independent, while keeping safety top of mind. With PERS, help can be on the way with just the touch of a button. This technology solution provides peace of mind for both older adults and their loved ones, knowing that in the event of a fall or other emergency, immediate assistance is available.
- Hire a caregiver. The ultimate way to make the home safer and more comfortable for older loved ones is hiring a professional caregiver. A caregiver can provide a wide range of in-home care services to help enhance comfort, including:
- Providing support with walking and transfers
- Assisting with bathing, dressing, using the restroom, and other personal care services
- Planning and preparing meals
- Doing light housework and laundry
- And much more
Learn How We Can Help Make Aging in Place Easier
We understand how beneficial it is to remain at home throughout the aging process and we are dedicated to helping our clients stay safe, happy, and healthy in the homes and neighborhoods they love. Jewish Family Home Care is an award-winning, non-profit home care agency that serves people of all faiths. For more information about how our RN-supervised home care services in Hollywood, Sunrise, Coconut Creek and the surrounding areas in Broward County can enhance comfort at home for a loved one, reach out to us online or call us at 954-908-5677.