Home Care Services Improve Recovery Following Joint Replacement Surgery
Combining home care and physical therapy services can help people heal quickly in the comfort of home following joint replacement surgery.
Joint replacement surgery can be a miracle for a person suffering from chronic joint pain. These surgeries are life-changing for so many people, and technology has come a long way in recent years in order to make them as minimally invasive as possible. Still, with any type of surgery, the body needs to recover. In order to improve recovery following joint replacement surgery, certain steps need to be taken to ensure proper healing.
How Long Does It Take to Recover From Joint Replacement Surgery?
Having a joint replaced is a major surgical procedure. Several factors can affect a person’s recovery time, including the type of joint that was replaced, the person’s age and overall health prior to surgery, any complications that arise, and how well the person takes care of themselves after surgery. In general, a joint replacement can take anywhere from 2 to 12 months to fully recover.
The key to a speedy recovery lies in the work you put in after surgery. Use these tips to help bounce back faster following a joint replacement:
- Keep moving. While rest is a key part of recovery, movement is equally important. It may seem counterintuitive, but regular movement of your new joint is essential and can speed recovery. Talk to your doctor about how much you should move each day and any recommended joint-specific exercises you should be doing.
- Follow incision care instructions. Infection of a surgical incision can set recovery time back. Make sure to follow your doctor’s instructions for incision care closely to ensure proper healing.
- Eat right. A healthy diet provides the body with the nutrients it needs to stay strong and heal. Foods that specifically help with combating fatigue and healing wounds include those rich in protein, vitamin C, vitamin B12, and iron.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. This piece of advice always sounds obvious, but too often patients want to take on too much too soon and end up ignoring their doctor’s orders. Following your doctor’s plan for recovery is the best way to ensure proper healing and getting back to normal as quickly as possible.
- Get outside help. From assistance with walking to having someone run errands and pick up medications, having outside help can allow you the time you need to rest and heal.
How Home Care and Physical Therapy Can Help
If you or a loved one have recently had joint surgery or plan to have it in the near future, including home care and physical therapy services as part of your recovery plan can make a world of difference. Jewish Family Home Care’s in-home care services can help patients recovering from joint replacement surgery in a number of ways, including:
- Providing transportation to and from doctors’ appointments.
- Providing medication reminders.
- Assisting with mobility to prevent falls in the home.
- Home modifications, such as installing grab bars in the bathroom, removing rugs that might cause slips, etc., to make the home safer.
- Planning and preparing nutritious meals.
- Assisting with range of motion exercises.
- And more.
Physical therapy is also a crucial step in the healing process. Nursing Plus of Broward, a wholly owned subsidiary of Jewish Family Home Care, offers a wide range of in-home therapy services that can help patients get back on their feet, including:
- Physical therapy to improve functional mobility and restore maximum function. Therapists work with you to ensure you can sit down and get up safely from a chair, toilet, or bed. They also provide instruction on how to climb steps, maintain balance, and use a walker, cane, or crutches appropriately, and develop a home exercise program tailored to your needs.
- Occupational therapy to teach skills needed to do everyday tasks such as putting on socks or getting dressed safely and appropriately.
- Skilled nursing care from RNs/LPNs to care for your surgical incisions.
- Education and training for family and/or caregivers to ensure your health is prioritized.
- And more.
Recovering from a joint replacement surgery takes time, patience, and support. Combining in-home care services from Jewish Family Home Care with physical therapy services from Nursing Plus of Broward can help speed recovery and get you back on your feet sooner. To learn more, reach out to Jewish Family Home Care’s experts in Sunrise personal care and care throughout the surrounding areas at 954-908-5677 today.